- Start Early! Talk to your teen while driving. Early learning will enhance driving later.
- When your teen turns 13 or 14 years of age, have them ride in the front seat while you drive. Explain the progression of defensive scanning skills: looking ahead, watching for other drivers, checking the blind spot when changing lanes and coming to a complete stop and looking left, right, and ahead and then left again before proceeding.
- Have your teen identify all road signs and pavement markings and their meanings.
- Have your teen start judging when it is safe to turn left or right from a side street or parking lot exit, can they judge the cross traffic's speed and distance and is it safe to pull out into traffic.
- Have your teen identify when it is safe to turn left at an intersection by checking for oncoming and cross traffic.
Become familiar with the hand to hand or push pull steering method